Mapeera Nabunnya Pilgrimage Center

BRO AMANS DELMAS (1852 – 1895)

BRO AMANS DELMAS (1852 – 1895)

Summary of his life

+ 3rd July 1852: Born at Palmas, district of Rodez in France. Mgr Livinhac was from the same region.
+ 1876: Joins the White Fathers.
+ 1878: Chosen to be in the first caravan for Equatorial Africa. He was the only brother of the 10 missionaries.
+ 17th April 1878: Together with others leaves Algiers for Marseilles from where they took a big ship for Zanzibar. It was Holy Wednesday.
+ 22nd April 1878: Left Marseilles for Africa.
+ 20th December 1878: Chosen together with Lourdel to go first to Uganda to meet King Muteesa.
+ 20th January 1879: Together with Lourdel leaves Kageye (Mwanza) for Uganda.
+ 15th February 1879: Stop over at Bugoma, Ssese Islands.
+ 17th February 1879: Arrives at Kigungu (Kyettale-Entebbe). Together with Amans they became the first two catholic missionaries to arrive in Uganda.
+ 21st February 1879: Together with Lourdel taken to Kitebi in the family of Amir Ssekikkubo while waiting to be received by the King.
+ 23rd February 1879: Suffering from malaria, he could not go with Lourdel to meet Muteesa in his palace at Lubaga.
+ 7th March 1879: Together with Lourdel enters their first home at Lubya / Nabulagala.
+ 11th April 1879: Leaves Lourdel at Lubya to go to fetch Livinhac, Barbot and Girault who had stayed at Kageye.
+ 17th June 1879: Arrives at Kigungu together with the 3 missionaries he had gone to fetch. He goes ahead of them to inform Mapeera about their arrival.
+ 19th October 1879: Makes his missionary oath, being the first religious to do it in Uganda, hence THE FIRST BORN OF THE RELIGIOUS IN UGANDA. Amans was the 18th professed brother. NB: We note that the first Ugandans to join the Society of the Missionaries of Africa were all brothers: Kwatoti Fortunat, Lwanga Leo, Kabuga Kizza Tobie, Walabyeeki Barnabe and Nampagi Karoli. Also on this date in 1868, the first White Fathers’ Novitiate opened at Al-Biary in Algiers with 5 novices.
+ 7th November 1882: Together with others, leaves Nabulagala / Uganda for Tanganyika because of insecurity.
+ 12th July 1885: Together with others, arrives at Kigungu and settles at Nalukolongo.
+ 1887 Chosen to be the principal witness in the commission to follow up cause for the beatification of the Martyrs. Fr. Lourdel was the chairperson and Fr. Denoit was the secretary.
+ October 1888: During the disturbances, while the others were taken prisoners at Kimbuggwe’s house, he is left to keep the mission and the orphans at Nalukolongo.
+ October 1888: While fleeing to Tanganyika from Uganda because of the war which removed Mwanga from the throne, their boat capsized. He and Fr. Denoit did all they could to rescue the children who were with them. They were the last to go on shore.
+15th January 1889: Together with Mapeera started the parish of Our Lady of the Exiles at Nyegezi in Tanganyika. There were many exiles from Uganda.
+ 1889: While they were coming back to Uganda, they heard that the war had resumed, so together with Fr. Livinhac and Fr. Chantemerle stopped at Bumangi, Ssese Islands, and started the parish of Our Lady of Good Help.
+ 22th May 1890: Comes back to Nnabunnya only to find that Mapeera had died 10 days ago.
+ 8th October 1894: Together with Fr. Gaudibert, found Kooki parish.
+ 20th October 1894: Falls sick and it was decided that he returns to Europe for treatment.
+19th January 1895: Dies at Bagamoyo in Tanganyika and was buried there. He had worked in Uganda for about 13 years, being among the pioneer missionaries the who stayed in this country longer than the others.
+ Places where he worked in Buganda: Nabulagala (1879 – 1882), Nalukolongo (1885-88), Bumangi (Ssese, 1889), Lubaga (1889), Kashozi (Kiziba, 1892), Villa Maria (1892), Kooki (1894).
+ His works: Looking after the orphans and redeemed slaves, teaching them vocational skills; looking after the gardens – Amans might have been the first to grow in this country paw-paws, oranges and lemons. Of all these works, we do not forget the one of PRAYER.
+ 6th March 1974: His remains, together with those of Fr. Barbot were brought to Uganda by the late Emmanuel Cardinal K. Nsubuga.
+ 6 March 2011: His remains transferred from Lubaga to Nabulagala (Mapeera-Nabulagala Catholic Parish, St. John the Baptist) and buried on the same day.